Figuring Out Buyer Behavior Number One

12A – Figuring Out Buyer Behavior No. 1


1.     Pick a Segment: I interviewed people in Miami who own homes.
2.     People I Interviewed: I first interviewed someone who lives in my neighborhood, Kendall, in Miami. The second person was someone that I know from the Coral Gables area in Miami. The last person was someone from the Hialeah area of Miami.
3.     Interviews:
1.      Interview 1:
2.     Need Awareness: My neighbor felt that he had never considered the use of solar panels in the area. It had simply never occurred to him. I believe that it hasn’t because there is a lack of solar panels being offered and marketed to homeowners. He definitely had the unmet need and was curious about everything they do to help with housing cost and efficiency.
3.     Information Search: When he became curious, he started to Google “solar panels on house” and went thoroughly through the results. Additionally, he googled “solar panel benefits” and “solar panel businesses”.

1.     Interview 2:
2.     Need Awareness: My contact in Coral Gables actually said that she has heard of the use of solar panels on homes. Coral Gables is a notably wealthier part of Miami, so this is understandable. She said that she herself doesn’t have solar panels, but she had never considered looking into them, even though her friend has them.
3.     Information Search: She said that she was going to contact her friend about her solar panels, how much they were, and how they are actually benefitting her.

1.     Interview 3:
2.     Need Awareness: The person from Hialeah told me that she “literally never considered solar panels”. She definitely has the unmet need and she was actually really interested in them.
3.     Information Search: My interviewee Googled mainly the same questions as my first interviewee, and also told me she was going to call one of the businesses that she found that offers solar panels to businesses, to see if they could do her home.

4.     Report Findings: I learned that many people in Miami have this unmet need. I also learned, surprisingly, that they were super interested to learn more about solar panels! They all were interested in the concept of solar panels and tried to learn more about them.
5.     Conclusions: This segment has a want, not necessarily a need, for this product. They want it if it benefits them. They were successful in their information searches, but I think for at least one of them, the price of the product was too much to look past.

Comments

  1. Hello Madison!
    I think your idea of solar panels is a great idea! It definitely helps the environment and I know many people in my neighborhood who have them. You did a really thorough job of interviewing your audience. I think a business that provides people with solar panels is going to succeed as people are becoming more environmentally conscious and there aren't many companies that sell them. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Madison, Your starting point really appeals to the prevailing winds. Because now more and more people pay attention to the importance of protecting the environment. There are also more and more companies around that are being created to create more environmentally friendly and reusable products. I think solar panels will also be known by more people and put into use. Getting it to scale is also a new goal for companies that dominate the exploitation of new energy sources.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I see a huge opportunity with this, you've an unmet need that has a demonstrated demand, but its not a demand at the forefront of everyones conscious. I think this gives you favorable market conditions to enter this industry. The next generation is beginning a trend of environmental awareness, and as research and technology becomes more developed I don't doubt there will be plenty of demand for this product, and decreasing barriers to production. You should try and find a way to bridge this gap between supply and demand in Miami, im sure theres someone in Miami thats begun in the solar panel industry. What do they know? What do they do? You've demonstrated theres an unmet demand, why is this?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment