11A - Idea Napkin Number One
1.
My name is Madison Soltis. I am a first-year Exploratory
major at UF, but I am hopefully going to shift my focus to Architecture or
Interior Design soon. I personally think that one of my skills is talking to
people and really being able to influence how they see something or actually
getting them to see it. Specifically, in regard to my business concept, I feel
that people just need to be environmentally aware in general. I want to get
into architecture and interior design, but I am also a big advocator for being sustainable,
being modern, and also being fun. I think this business, if started, would play
a definite big role in my life. Hopefully, it would become something I could be
consumed by because of how many other people realize the great benefits of it.
2.
I am offering people, homeowners, businesses, anyone,
a product to help them be sustainable and be more conscious of the environment.
I am offering them easily accessible solar panels to line their roofs with. The
consumer will have lowered electricity costs among the other environmental
impacts the panels will have.
3.
I am offering this product to anyone who has a
roof over their heads- whether that be homeowners or people who run/own a
business or work at other buildings. The demographic range most likely falls
between the ages of 30-60. Since the panels are in no way as cheap as some
think they are, the target market is older individuals who have settled into a
home and could afford such an undertaking. The commonality between all the
potential customers would most likely be their need to save on electricity
costs, since the green movement doesn’t seem to be that high in numbers yet.
4.
I think that people would pay money for this
product because it is something new and not commonly seen before. While I wish
the reason was anything about and related to the environment, it would most
likely be about having something that most people don’t and being able to show
it off. Then, once they realize what good it’s doing for their electricity bill
and the environment, they may share with others, leading that to be the reason
why people invest and not just because of cool looks.
5.
My primary location to sell this product would
be in Miami. To my knowledge, Miami doesn’t have any well-known businesses
selling solar panels or even marketing them to homeowners. My business would be
different because it would market directly to homeowners or businesses, instead
of trying to only sell to beaches or environmental areas.
After laying out all the groundwork for my business venture,
I find it hard to believe that this is something that could truly survive as an
actual business. While I still think it’s a really good and really fun idea, I don’t
see it excelling in the future. I didn’t factor the cost of the solar panels
correctly, and I feel that that is the extremely weak part of my concept.
Hi Madison,
ReplyDeleteI think it is a great that you are mingling what your skills are and what you want to accomplish which is basically saving the environment. I think it is very nice to have solar panels that would allow for the green movement to process well, and it combines your passion with interior design! I agree, showing off would make it less appealing; however, with lowered cost and saving the environment, it would definitely have an impact and lots of customers would definitely buy it. I think it would be worth a shot, but maybe not something to bet all your marbles in.
Hi Madison!
ReplyDeleteI think with a little more research your solar panel business can be a big hit. The pricing of the solar panels and the profit you make off of it would have to be tweaked as you go, but as everything it is a learning process. Everyone is trying to be more aware of the environment these days and I think that this could be intriguing to many people. I liked how you picked a location where there was little to no businesses for solar panel energy. This lowers your competition level and will hopefully draw you in more customers.
A lot of the posts I read were wholesomely optimistic. Everyone seems very happy with their venture but you mentioned at the end you don't see this business being successful. its a sobering thought but I don't think you should abandon your idea just yet. Because you're not wrong about the demand, the prototypical customer, and market failure currently. Costs are hard to get around for sure, but is there any business that sells solar panels on credit? From my understanding, you can actually earn money if your solar panels make more electricity than you use in a given month, so if you were to find a way to sell solar panels for a monthly rate and the customers are able to earn a portion of that back every month, they would become more affordable for the consumer. My point is maybe your idea isn't about solar panels, but a way to distribute them, market them, etc. Good luck!
ReplyDelete