27A - Reading Reflection Number Three
The Art of Social Media: Power Tips for Power Users by Guy Kawasaki
1. The general theme of this book was about the major impact and influence social media has had in people’s lives. Kawasaki discusses different impacts of using social media in work lives. He introduces strategies to succeed by using social media.
2. I think that simply the topic of social media is already a big topic that we talk about and use in this class. We discuss marketing our products, and a big way of doing that in today’s world is through social media platforms. Similarly to the book, we use social media as a way to succeed in our specific business industries.
3. If I had to design an exercise for this class based on this book, it would definitely be an interactive one. I would probably have my students create an Instagram or Facebook account and all friend each other on that account. It would be for “business” purposes and all the students would post very professional parts of the class onto those accounts. Additionally, their classmates are able to comment on those posts. I believe that that is definitely a successful way of demonstrating to the students the power and influence that social media can have on their products/businesses.
4. I think what I was expecting most from this book was that it be targeted to specific people. However, it surpassed my expectations and was really just a book for everybody. Literally almost every person nowadays has some type of social media account, and this book is very informative on how social media can impact your job and professional life. It is also very effective at giving ways to improve it.
The topic of social media is so relevant today and to almost all businesses today, so this was a good choice to learn more about. I chose a book not on the list so it's good to get the sparknotes version of the other books people chose. I am not into social media so I did not want to read a full book on it. Your exercise almost sounds like a LinkedIn so that would be useful for students to practice with with just their classmates.
ReplyDeleteHi Madison, the book you have chosen is very much in line with our daily lives, as it seems that everyone pays attention to social media regularly nowadays. People tend to get more news through shorter videos cropped from social media than in more serious situations. More and more companies are also Posting their latest announcements on big websites. I think it's good that at least more people know about it.
ReplyDeleteHey Madison,
ReplyDeleteFor my third reading reflection, I read the same book. My activity I design was actually pretty similar to yours too, but reading your post over, I realize these blogs are a small sample of what we're talking about. This class has taught me more and more how important marketing is, and this book has me thinking about taking courses and reading more in order to really be successful. I found the hyperlinks in the hardcopy of this book difficult to follow, but the overall structure was great and really makes you think about what social media can do for your brand