23A – Your Venture’s Unfair Advantage
1. Lack of Competitors
a. Valuable: This is valuable because it leaves room for my business to flourish in Miami, with the lack of having to compete with similar businesses.
b. Rare: This doesn’t seem rare at all in other parts of Florida or the U.S.
c. Inimitable: This can definitely be imitated, despite being unique right now.
d. Non-Substitutable: It isn’t really substitutable… there could definitely be possible ideas or supporting ideas, but none that would really change the entire idea as a whole.
2. Connection with Miami businesses
a. Valuable: This is very valuable as a connection is what leads to business opportunities.
b. Rare: This isn’t super rare, but in a city as big as Miami, it is very uncommon.
c. Inimitable: This definitely isn’t inimitable.
d. Non-Substitutable: This also isn’t non-substitutable because my target area is the city of Miami.
3. Familiarity of Miami and areas that would use product
a. Valuable: This is very valuable is knowing what area in Miami would be better to invest money in and target.
b. Rare: This isn’t too rare, especially because I have lived in Miami my whole life.
c. Inimitable: This can be imitated depending on where someone locates their business.
d. Non-Substitutable: This can’t be substituted.
4. Marketing Experience
a. Valuable: This is definitely valuable in knowing how to promote my product and targeting the right audience.
b. Rare: In most cases, this seems to be rare unless someone has prior experience.
c. Inimitable: In a person, this is imitable, but only with gained experience and knowledge.
d. Non-Substitutable: This is definitely non-substitutable knowledge to have.
5. Relationship with a past entrepreneur
a. Valuable: This adds value in being able to go to that person and ask questions about starting a business.
b. Rare: It is rare because not everybody has that connection in their personal lives.
c. Inimitable: It could be imitated if a person sought out help.
d. Non-Substitutable: It isn’t substitutable.
6. Taking construction and architecture classes
a. Valuable: This gives a new respect to the workload of architects and construction workers, as well as gaining contacts in the industry.
b. Rare: This is rare, depending on what someone chooses to study.
c. Inimitable: This could be imitated if someone were curious enough.
d. Non-Substitutable: What I learned from these classes is not substitutable.
7. Personal experience in selling products
a. Valuable: This is valuable because experience is always needed when starting up a business.
b. Rare: It could be rare, depending on a person’s work ethic.
c. Inimitable: It could definitely be imitated.
d. Non-Substitutable: As a substitute, someone with specific solar panel selling experience could be hired.
8. Contact in solar panel production
a. Valuable: This is insanely valuable because having contacts and good relations leads to good business.
b. Rare: It is rare so early on in a business.
c. Inimitable: It could be imitated if a person is committed enough.
d. Non-Substitutable: Communication and good relations is non-substitutable.
9. Personal relationship with Miami communities
a. Valuable: This is definitely valuable because you gain the communities trust.
b. Rare: This could very well be considered rare in most cities.
c. Inimitable: It could also be imitated though.
d. Non-Substitutable: It is non-substitutable because much business could be gotten through this.
10. Support from friend-owned local businesses
a. Valuable: This is valuable because these friends could help promote my business for free.
b. Rare: I feel like this is rare because not a lot of people know owners of businesses.
c. Inimitable: It could be imitated though.
d. Non-Substitutable: I think it is not substitutable because of the connections with other people and customers.
I think that every resource I could think of for my business is very valuable in some way. I definitely want my business to be able to succeed, so I think at the very top of my list would probably be number 3. I know the Miami area extremely well. I know what areas to spend more money marketing to and which areas to spend less in. I know my target areas around the city and where I can advertise in most places. I think this is extremely important because it is how most people will be learning about my business.
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteHi Madison,
ReplyDeleteI see you have a really great variety of resources. I agree with you and that one of the best resources for your business would be having excellent knowledge on the Miami area. I think its really specific to your market and make you more creditable as well as valuable. Other resources you have stood out to me as well, as you have had marketing experience and selling experience. Since you have these resources yourself, you will not have to strive for much help from others.
I think that your knowledge of Miami would serve you well, but I also think that your personal relationship with Miami communities could be the most important. If you know the area well that is good, but relationships seem to be what drives long-term sustainable success. Choosing for this company to be in the Miami area is smart of you because you know it well and have many resources there. This is also a good location for the solar panel company that you are thinking of because of the ample sunshine and a growing need for sustainability in large cities.
ReplyDeleteHello Madison,
ReplyDeleteI think that you have a great list of resources for your business. It is amazing that you have so much experience, and this would help your business get very far. The relationships that you listed as resources would also get your business very far, as they could be potential customers and recommend your business to their friends and family.
Your work is very organized. Let the viewer understand at once what you are trying to say. I really like your analysis and perspective on rare and unique resources. Mention your work ethic when you mention your personal experience selling products. I think this is the cornerstone of every company's success. This is great, especially if your friends can help you.
ReplyDelete