Bug List


My Bug List - 2A

1.     Communal dorm bathrooms not being cleaned on the weekends
WHY IT EXISTS: The cleaning staff gets the weekends off because they need a break as much as students do. Weekends are usually non workdays, and I’m sure they get tired of cleaning the whole floors’ mess.

2.     People who don’t say please or thank you
WHY IT EXISTS: Some people may be distracted or may just not have been raised to have manners and show others respect.

3.     Lack of student parking on campus around classes
WHY IT EXISTS: The school wants to dedicate more space on campus to classrooms or offices in order to better student education.

4.     People who walk into me while staring at their phones
WHY IT EXISTS: These people are distracted by whatever is on their device and can’t see where they are walking.

5.     Noisy girls in the dorm room next to me at 1 A.M.
WHY IT EXISTS: The walls are too thin, so I can hear the girls next to me talking to each other in the early hours of the morning.

6.     Girls’ hair on the walls in the communal shower stalls
WHY IT EXISTS: There is no trash inside the shower or personal place to dispose of things such as hair.

7.     People who don’t take their trash out in the dorms
WHY IT EXISTS: The trash is a decent walk away from the dorm rooms, and some people may not want to make the trip. Some people also expect it to be done for them.

8.     Professors who don’t allow taking notes on computers during class
WHY IT EXISTS: Some professors think it is more efficient to take notes by hand, or they think that students will be doing other things on their computers.

9.     Slow school internet connection
WHY IT EXISTS: So many people may be on one singular internet connection, and that is why nothing loads.

10.  People who take someone’s clothes out of the communal washer or dryer to put their clothes in
WHY IT EXISTS: Not enough machines for the entire dorm building.

11.  People who randomly stop in front of me while walking
WHY IT EXISTS: They don’t have a way of sensing that I am behind them, unless they turn around first, until they run into me.

12.  People who put their bag on the seat next to them on a crowded bus
WHY IT EXISTS: Lack of personal space when someone sits next to them. Lack of baggage placement. They may want to be alone with nobody near them.

13.  People who are negative all the time
WHY IT EXISTS: They may be having a bad day with nothing/nobody to cheer them up. An app or device could be implemented to show someone something to make them more positive.

14.  Having to re-explain something to someone
WHY IT EXISTS: People are distracted and don’t listen to what is being said. They may not be able to hear correctly either.

15.  Being rude for no reason
WHY IT EXISTS: Someone may be having a bad day or was given bad news. They don’t realize that being rude to a person can change their whole day.

16.  People who are on social media but don’t respond to texts
WHY IT EXISTS: Social media is addicting and once someone is on it, they need a lot of willpower to get off of it. Maybe their phone could be set to give them an alert after ten minutes that they have an unopened message.

17.  Something delivered damaged
WHY IT EXISTS: The package is passed through a lot of places before it ends up in the mail room. Depending on what is in the package then the insides or box could be more secured.

18.  When someone shows up late to plans
WHY IT EXISTS: People don’t set alarms on their phone or are just too irresponsible to show up on time. They may need more of a reminder in order to be on time.

19.  Lack of desks for left-handed people
WHY IT EXISTS: The majority of the population is right-handed. The school may not want to spend the extra money on desks that would only benefit a fraction of the student body population.

20.  Towels falling in the dorm shower into a pool of water
WHY IT EXISTS: The hooks in the showers are not long or wide enough to hold towels and showering bags. The dorms should have sturdier hooks to accommodate everything brought into the shower.

Reflection:
            This assignment was quite a challenge for me. I like to think positively, so I don’t really question WHY people do the things they do. In this case, I didn’t have to question WHY it was done, but rather WHY it exists. It was particularly difficult to pinpoint the exact things I had problems with without sounding too repetitive. I think I realized that this mentality of asking why these “bugs” exist is more beneficial than asking why I felt bugged. It allows me to be more open minded and, at the same time, I liked the feeling of chasing the reason they exist and being able to write it down and maybe one day do something about it. Furthermore, I enjoyed this assignment, and I enjoyed taking steps to realize how an entrepreneur thinks.

Comments

  1. I have many similarities with your Bug List, but I didn't think to include them in my list. The ones that stood out that we have in common are that people walk into you when on their phones, the lack of parking around campus, slow school internet, and when people show up late to plans. Two of these have to do with UF's accommodations, and the other two have to do with respect from others. It is hard to make others change their actions, but UF could easily make changes to better these problems.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought your post was really interesting, because your focus was on mostly policies/ people rather than tangible things. A lot of the issues I had were about products, while your list was almost exclusively the opposite. I think you did a good job getting to the root of the problems. When I went through before reading the “why” I tried to see if I could come up with it first, then match it against yours. We had a lot of similar ideas as to why but not all the same, and I realized a lot of these have more than one “why”. In the future, I’d try and make sure you list multiple “whys” if you can think of them, just to get a more comprehensive view of the situation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Madison,

    I think some of your "bugs" are a little unspecific but they still got your point across. If we were to try to find a solution to these "bugs," we would need to dive further into the issue and pinpoint a little more detail. I believe that these issues you've come across hinder the comfortability as being a student on campus, and in your daily life. I have similar complaints and I think many people would also agree. I think that your reasonings why these "bugs" occur are right on point, and I just would like more description about them.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment