Growing Your Social Capital

20A - Growing Your Social Capital


Domain Expert:
1.     Who they are, what their background is: 
a.     Ivan, lead architect at Civica Architecture Firm in Miami, FL.
2.     How this person is a “domain expert”: 
a.     While Ivan doesn’t own a solar panel business, he is an architect at an architecture firm, which is part of the business venture that I have described. I felt that this was as close as I could get to finding a domain expert.
3.     How I found and contacted this person: 
a.     My grandfather works closely with the firm and told me about Ivan and that I could contact him through the website if needed.
4.     Nature of Exchange: What they did for me, what is the return expectation: 
a.     I told him about my assignment and the business venture that I have created, and he made comments on it and how it related to his work.
5.     How will including them enhance my ability to exploit an opportunity:
a.     I think including Ivan will definitely give me a better insight into everything that goes into my business venture. He, undoubtedly, has more experience in dealing with marketing the product/work and performing all the business aspects as well.

Market Expert:
1.     Who they are, what their background is: 
a.     David from the Solar Panels of Miami company.
2.     How this person is a “market expert”: 
a.     David is a market expert because he is actually a solar panel distributor. He markets solar panels to businesses and people. He definitely knows all sorts of facts about solar panels, which would make him an expert.
3.     How I found and contacted this person: 
a.     I actually found the company on Instagram. I then clicked the link in their Instagram bio that took me to their website, and ultimately to David.
4.     Nature of Exchange: What they did for me, what is the return expectation: 
a.     I told David about my business venture and, of course, he thought it was similar to what he was doing and thought it was great that I have an interest in solar panels.
5.     How will including them enhance my ability to exploit an opportunity:
a.     David has a lot of knowledge about solar panels, which could 100% help me in the future. He definitely gave me a lot of feedback on my idea and advice for the future.

Industry Supplier:
1.     Who they are, what their background is: 
a.     Gail, she works at Wholesale Solar, selling solar panels to businesses.
2.     How this person is an “industry supplier”: 
a.     Gail works to provide businesses with essentially the supplies that they need (solar panels) to run their businesses with.
3.     How I found and contacted this person: 
a.     I googled “solar panel supplier” and I clicked on their website and used a chat box to contact Gail.
4.     Nature of Exchange: What they did for me, what is the return expectation: 
a.     She basically answered questions for me about what she does and how their whole system of supplying solar panels works.
5.     How will including them enhance my ability to exploit an opportunity:
a.     This could be useful because I could use her as a contact into the world of solar panels, when/if I start this business.

Reflection:
Based on this experience, I will definitely be putting myself out there more at any future networking events. I realize that it is important to make connections with people and have contacts wherever needed. This experience is definitely different because I’ve never actually had to go out and find specific people to connect with.

Comments

  1. Hi Madison,

    I agree with you and that putting yourself out there has so many benefits when thinking of starting a business. I think the three people you contacted were all perfect for the categories. I think looking for these specific people gave you the best source of information. I think it was interesting to see what the solar panel supplier provided for you and I think she would be a valuable contact to have for future business inquiries. I think the other experts also provided valid information needed to know for your business. Talking to these people who have the experience are best as they have gone through struggles that hopefully they could give you advice on to avoid any issues when running a similar business!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your interviews were with the perfect people to be talking to for your location and industry. The connection through your grandpa is very important, and that could serve you in the future if you continue this business. I agree that I will definitely put myself out there more in the industry that I want my business to be in, so that I can make more valuable networking connections.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Madison, In your feedback, you mentioned that you will definitely be more involved in the social interaction in the future to obtain more useful resources and information. I think of what you've been talking about before always being enthusiastic. This is a good support point. The construction and placement of solar panels is also a good new energy product. I'm sure there will be more people interested in it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Madison,
    You did a great job with finding people to contact. I like that even though you could not think of someone who might be a domain expert, you still made it work and found someone that fits well in my opinion. I am positive that having this contact would benefit your business, because he could probably help you with several aspects of your business, or recommend your business to potential customers.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment