Idea Napkin Number Two

19A - Idea Napkin Number Two


1.     My name is Madison Soltis. I am a first year, just pronounced, Architecture major at this school. I think that one of my skills is being open and positive around people, to people. I am able to share details about certain things and have a positive spin on all of them. Specifically, in regard to my business concept, I feel that people just need to be environmentally aware in general. I want to get into architecture AND interior design, but I am also a big advocator for being sustainable, being modern, and also being fun. As I said last time, I think this business, if started, would play a big role in my life. Hopefully, it would become something I could be consumed by and passionate of because of how many other people realize the great benefits of it.
2.     Once again, I am offering people, homeowners, businesses, anyone, a product to help them be sustainable and be more conscious of the environment. I want to give the people easy access to solar panels to line their roofs with. The consumer will have lowered electricity costs among the other environmental impacts the panels will have.
3.     I am offering this product to anyone who has a roof over their heads - whether that be homeowners or people who run/own a business or work at other buildings. In the last assignment I had to create a specific prototypical customer, but in general, the demographic range most likely falls between the ages of 30-60, of any gender. Since the panels are in no way as cheap as some think they are, the target market is older individuals who have settled into a home and could afford such an undertaking. The commonality between all the potential customers would most likely be their need to save on electricity costs, since the green movement doesn’t seem to be that high in numbers yet.
4.     I think that people would pay money for this product because it is something new and not commonly seen before. While I wish the reason was anything about and related to the environment, it would most likely be about having something that most people don’t and being able to show it off. Then, once they realize what good it’s doing for their electricity bill and the environment, they may share with others, leading that to be the reason why people invest and not just because of cool looks.
5.     My primary location to sell this product would be in Miami. To my knowledge, Miami doesn’t have any well-known businesses selling solar panels or even marketing them to homeowners. My business would be different because it would market directly to homeowners or businesses, instead of trying to only sell to beaches or environmental areas.

After laying out all the groundwork, I feel that this could be a really cool business. On my first Idea Napkin, I was not 100% positive about my venture, but I have gained more confidence in it. While I still think it’s a really good and really fun idea, I definitely feel like I would need to tweak some aspects of it.

As per the feedback that I got, I have to say it definitely influenced my thought process. I got mainly positive and encouraging feedback, and a lot of tips. I could definitely change my venture to being able to distribute and manufacture solar panels to businesses, and that would be less risky than what I have planned. Some things that I included were definitely the cost of the solar panels, and how it affects my demographic, but I have made sure to include that in my Idea Napkin.


Comments

  1. Hi Madison,

    I think you have a good plan on your major/career and I think it will give you the experience you need for your business idea! You seem to be very knowledgable and dedicated to making a difference in sustainability efforts. I think that picking the specific city, Miami, will be a really good place to start your market. Then if it is successful, it could further develop in other areas as well. I think you did a great job incorporating your feedback into this post, and made it more detailed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Madison,
    I think solar panels are a great business idea. A lot of people are starting to become more aware of the harm that we as humans bring to the planet. I really like that you're expanding to business instead of solely focusing on older homeowners. Businesses are probable going to be more capable of covering the cost. I also know that there are a lot of celebrities and wealthy people that reside or have a second home in Miami. If that is where you want to start your business, I think targeting that demographic would be really great since you know they will be able to afford it, and many celebrities are very conscious of the Earth's health. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your business idea is up my alley, because my composting service is also focused on sustainability. Including the point that solar panels are expensive was important for this assignment, because that is a huge deciding factor for customers. I love this idea, I am just hesitant to believe that many people would spend that much money on solar panels if they aren't passionate about environmentalism. However, if you can prove that it saves customers money in the long run, then it could work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Madison,I quite agree with your ideas and views. According to what you said, you can know that this project is sustainable from people's attention to environmental protection in general. We should do a good job of publicity and get in touch with the government as much as possible to ensure more discounts for citizens. That would ease people's biggest cost concerns.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Madison! I think you took the right approach to the way you market this product. There were a few buzz words in your assignment that made me realize you're thinking about this product in context to the environment. You didn't disregard the aesthetic or practical purpose of the product either. I think you found a great balance ! Company culture matters a lot to a business like yours, I hope you continue to develop these ideas and expand on the environmental rhetoric that'll hopefully define your product. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment