Reading Reflection Number Two

21A - Reading Reflection Number Two


Makers: The Industrial Revolution

1.     The main theme of the book by Chris Anderson was about the continuous changes throughout society. He describes these changes though as different stages of revolutions that the world goes through.
2.     In his book, Anderson talks about three different revolutions. First the industrial revolution, second is the revolution of developed machinery, and lastly digital manufacturing. To me it seems very familiar to this class in the sense that society is never still, and things are always changing and advancing. It connects to this class because we are always talking about the creation of new opportunities and new products, and as Anderson describes, there is the availability for these things during each revolution.
3.     If I had to create an exercise for this class based on this reading, I would tell my students to choose one object, any object, that they think is sufficient to constructing with a 3D printer. Anderson talked quite a bit about how in the future, people will use 3D printing to fabricate objects that are useful to us. I would tell the students to then write on how they would use that object on a daily basis and how it would fit into their lives.
4.     I think what surprised me the most about this reading was the fact that Anderson spoke so much about future activities. In a book labeled “The Industrial Revolution”, one would usually assume that this book would be about history and about the history of the industrial revolution, yet it was so much more than that. Anderson spoke of creating things and future processes, and I think that is part of what made the book so great.

Comments

  1. Hi Madison,

    I didn't choose this book, but it seems very interesting by your description. Although, I would've liked a little more detail about these changes. Your assignment idea is really cool and modern, since 3D printers are becoming more popular. It's a good way to connect students to new technologies to the entrepreneurship topics. I also liked how you related your activity to the most surprising part of the book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The other comment that I wrote on was also about this book. I think it is interesting that two other girls chose this book because it would never be my choice as I am not into that kind of stuff. It was good to read about these in summary to see different ideas. The other activity proposed was to research an inventor. I think that this activity is a little bit more engaging and unique. The book I read was mostly about self-improvement where this seemed to focus on history, so I like that there is variety in what the class is reading.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Madison, I like the book you have chosen very much, because I am particularly interested in the history of human development. I love and often listen to my parents or grandparents tell stories about their youth. It's really interesting. I can also deeply feel how The Times are developing rapidly. Like you, I admire those who continue to create new things in the face of contemporary dilemmas. People often say that there are no opportunities in this era, and I think we may have lost our imagination and creativity in such an easy life.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment